Late rally lifts Huskers over Wolfpack
It took a fabulous last-ditch drive for the Cornhuskers to topple North Carolina State, 19-14, and remain unbeaten.
The inspired Wolfpack pepped by quarterback Jim Rossi and scatback Joe Scarpati, who stunned NU with a 91-yard kickoff return for a go-ahead TD in the third quarter had the Huskers in a jam until the final minutes.
With 13:52 of the final period gone, Dennis Stuewe skipped 13 yards for the clincher, capping a sensational drive generaled by Dennis Claridge. It was Stuewe’s second tally of the final frame as the Huskers were forced to come from a 14-7 deficit.
- The Huskers’ first fourth-quarter TD capped an 80-yard drive.
- The winning drive covered 68 yards and started with 2:45 left in the game.
- Stuewe, who hadn’t played since the Michigan game, came off the bench to score his two fourth-quarter TDs.
- The Wolfpack reached the Nebraska 24 in the game’s final minute but turned the ball over on downs.
- The win gave Nebraska a sweep of its nonconference opponents for the first time since 1915.