The straight scoop
from Colonel Mustard
Feb. 11, 2003
Sorry I am late with this post. The recuiting dinner was interesting
on many fronts. Frank was assertive that he in fact had hired the new
coaches in his way and at his pace. He spoke for an hour and discussed that
he was going to give up the OC job last year but felt the team was too
inexperenced for that. He is upset with the media and to me is too worried
about what they think and how to approach them. He said that he hired
coaches for X's and O's, communicators and recuiters. Downing handled the
recuiting films and was very impressive. He talks like a scout and is a
strong talent evaluator the first step in being a good recuiter. As I
said, getting Downing was a huge positive.
As for the recuits, the following comments are a combination of coaches'
comments and my impressions from the films.
Overall, very encouraging. We are back on track, and from what I hear
everyone is dead serious in winter conditioning. This staff is a huge
upgrade and the worst days are behind us.
- Austin Powerful, finishes blocks, good work ethic
- Birkel Speed and explosion, catches the ball in traffic
- Brothers Very fast
- Byford Pulling guard, quick, good feet
- Craver Played QB, the best player on the field playing in high-level Texas
high school, great athlete
- Dailey Quick feet, moves well in the
pocket, strong arm, can throw on the run. The only running plays we saw were
scambles, so his option ability is unknown, fine athlete.
- Defrand Excellent cover guy and kick retuner
- DeLone Mobile and agile
- Green Great speed
- McKeon The most impressive overall player, played safety and linebacker,
all over the field, intercepting passes and a fine blitzer, great athlete
- Mueller and Patrick Men playing against boys, both way too good for the
- Muhammad Quick first step, sack machine, huge stats
- Phillips Great blocker, all district at guard as a junior, fine hands
- Ruud Excellent athlete, injured a great deal last year
- Schuler Overpowering
- Teamer Gets good bend, and uses his hands very well
- Turner Fastest of the group, just lightning
- Dyches Huge leg, punts and kicks
- Smith Second most impressive, ran away from everyone in California juco games,
quick and breaks tackles
- Neeman Good leverage and did a good job of rushing the passer
- Pittman Good speed and a fine open-field runner
Heal fast, Curt.
Keep the faith. GBR.