M A G A Z I N E R E V I E W
Street & Smith's college football preview
$5.95, 180 pages
Cover photo (Thanks, Alex C. in Pueblo!)
Street & Smith's picks Nebraska to win the national championship, ahead of No. 2 Florida State and No. 3 Alabama.
Here are some other items of interest to Husker fans. (This is what was found in the version being sold in Colorado. There are likely to be regional differences, particularly in the cover photo selection. To order the version with Crouch on the cover, click here.)
- Eric Crouch is on the cover.
- NU opponents in Top 25: Kansas State 7, Colorado 21, Oklahoma 23. (Texas, favored to win the Big 12 South, is No. 11.)
- Dominic Raiola is the only Husker on the first-team All-America team. On the second team are Dan Hadenfeldt and Bobby Newcombe (as a kick returner). Honorable mention: Eric Crouch, Dan Alexander, Matt Davison, Tracey Wistrom, Russ Hochstein, Josh Brown, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Carlos Polk, Keyuo Craver. Wistrom, Raiola, Hochstein, Polk, and Hadenfeldt are all-conference (only a first team is named).
- Now here is where things get confusing. Carlos Polk is only an honorable-mention All-American, yet he is No. 4 on the list for the Bronco Nagurski Award (top defensive player) in a prominent spread on page 29. To make things even more puzzling, he doesn't show up at all on page 13 where candidates for the Butkus Award (top linebacker) and the Nagurski Award (yes, there are two Nagurski lists) are listed in smaller type.
- Other awards candidates: Eric Crouch is 7th for the Heisman/Walter Camp/Maxwell Awards, 5th for the Davey O'Brien Award, and (in another case of dueling lists) 10th for the Heisman; Josh Brown is 7th for the Lou Groza Award; and Dominic Raiola is 13th for the Outland/Lombardi Awards.
- Westwood One radio will carry NU's games vs. Kansas State and Colorado, as well as the Big 12 title game.
- NU's freshman class is rated No. 10 nationally, with TE Chris Septak and LB Jason Richenberger making the list of the nation's top freshmen-to-be. (Oops -- LSU's Adrian Mayes shows up on that list as a Husker.)
- Omaha Creighton Prep DL Titus Adams is on the list of the nation's top 50 high school seniors.
|PLEASE VISIT OUR SPONSORS